Thursday, January 4, 2018

The Visible God

One of the more interesting question posed to me recently was, “how can you make God visible?”

The Magi follow a star in search of the manifestation (the appearing) of God.

There are two things necessary for seeing: light and eyes (no, that’s not three things). Well, one of those things is taken care of by Jesus, for in the very first chapter of John’s Gospel it says that he was, “4the light of all people. 5The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not overcome it.”

There are an awful lot of parables and sayings in the New Testament about seeing; the blind regaining their sight and sighted people unable to see. These are all stories about the importance of perceiving the light, in this case, the light of all people, the light of Christ.

So, the Magi, on their quest to behold his appearing, need two things: Jesus being born (obviously) and the ability to perceive this glorious light. These things they have, but the question was, “how can you make God visible?” How can God’s light shine through me (and I mean, through us).

To live the Gospel, to put it into practice is the only way to shine the light of God’s love and forgiveness, God’s mercy and justice.

But, have you every turned a light on the in middle of the day, in a room that is well lit by the sun? The shining electrical light makes little or no difference. Light makes a difference in the dark. There are plenty of dark places in the world, in our neighbourhoods, in our lives, where the light of Christ can shine and make a real difference.


In fact, in a way, the light is healed by the darkness. If I’m daring enough to think God’s light can shine through me, I must also be open to the healing that comes from the darkness. There is blessing from those I seek to bless. All I mean here is that I might be one of the Pharisees who thinks he can see. It is by acknowledging my limited sight, acknowledging the darkness within me, that I can be healed and enabled to be a bearer of the Christ-light. God can be seen in me when I see God in others. 

No comments: